Treks Trips & Trails
Lohagad fort Trek
Date of the program: To be mutually decided
Venue: Lohagad fort in Lonavala (Maharashtra) Sahyadris
Transport: Bus/private vehicle will be organized by us
Food : Breakfast, lunch, Tea to be provided by us
Lohagad fort is a formidable fort near Pune. Lohagad makes an ideal trekking destination for trekkers from Pune and Mumbai because of its accesibility, ease of the trek and lush green surroundings. Lohagad at 3400 ft is a wide spread fort. There are 4 doors to Lohagad from the nearby village Lohagadwadi. Lohagad divides the basins of the Indrayani and Pavna. Malawli is the nearest railway station from Lohagad.
Lohagad has a long history with several dynasties occupying it at different periods of time: Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, Bahamanis,Nizamshahis, Mughals and Marathas. Historical records show that in the later Peshwa period, Nana Phadnavis (1742-1800 AD) built several structures in the fort such as a big tank and a step-well (bawali).Shivaji captured it in 1648 CE, but he was forced to surrender it to the Mughals in 1665 CE by the Treaty of Purandar. Shivaji recaptured the fort in 1670 CE and used it for keeping his treasury. This fort was used to keep the loot from Surat. Later in Peshwa time Nana Phadanwis used this fort for living for sometime. The fort has been declared as a protected monument by the government.
All participants to assemble at Dadar Central Railway Station at 6.30 a.m.
- The bus will leave sharp at 7 a.m after the head count.
- The bus will reach Lohagadwadi village at 9.30 a.m. Breakfast and tea will be served here.
- Trek to the fort for 2 ½ hours. During the trek, children will be given talks on flora fauna and ecology by an expert.
- Reach fort top by 12.30 p.m.to 1.00 p.m
- Lunch will be organized at the village at 3.00 p.m ,back to the waiting bus and tentatively leave at 5 p.m after tea
- Reach Mumbai at 7.30 p.m or 8.00 p.m
- Please note the participants will have to wear shorts/track pants, t shirts, cap, carry a water bottle and wear sports shoes
Recent Blog Entries